18 February 2009

Snow falling gently

The weather reporters in Latvia predicted winter to come late this year in February. Well, winter has arrived here in Latvia. When I awoke today I looked out our window to see snow coming down almost horizontally. The snow continued throughout the day and began to stick a little bit to the streets. As I walked home this evening I encountered my favorite type of Latvian snow - the soft powder snow that gently and slowly falls. It is light enough for the street sweepers to brush away using their bundled tree branches. When it falls on your coat and hat it simply sits there not making things heavier or damper but just peaceful. It is a peaceful kind of snow - one that lets you know there is still gentleness in the world. I am not sure I really every paid attention to the type of snow or how incredibly descriptive snow can be. Yet today I marveled at the sight.

Adding to my new understanding of snow also comes an appreciation for a new winter coat. The coat I currently have is getting a little bit too little for my pregnant belly. So Dan and I have been looking for a winter coat which would cover and keep me warm. We found a store last night who is going out of business. Inside two very nice women helped me to find a coat which fit now and would not look too big next winter post pregnancy. We were thankful for their help and assistance. Yet, I am also aware as I left the store with my beautiful and on sale coat that there is another store closing in Latvia. So as the economy continues to struggle and fall here very much like the snow, I say a prayer for the job situation here.

No matter where I went today I had to shake the snow off my hat - what a blessing and a great reminder of God's creation. Even with something so small and abundant like snow there is such an incredible detail to it that it can be described and viewed in so many different ways.

So let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.....

1 comment:

  1. Dan-

    I hope you remember me...My name is Will Waller from Suttle Lake Camp in Oregon who was applying to Duke. Great News! I heard back a couple of days ago and they, in a moment of weakness, decided to let me in! I'm very excited about this new stage in my life. I continue to think of you and your ministry in Eastern Europe, and pray for strength.

    Anyway, thought I'd share this with a former grad!

    Best,

    Will Waller
    wallerw1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete